HOME | TALKS | PROJECTS | CURIOSITIES & FEATURES | BUILDING DATING & ANALYSIS | NEWSLETTER | CONTACT
|Curiosities & Features|
Fitzroy Barometer |
The Admiral Fitzroy barometer may be found set into the wall of the cottages immediately leaving Swain Street to the Esplanade.
A brass plaque somewhat difficult to read due to enthusiastic polishing states that it was the gift of Sir A.A. Hood. The barometer is set daily by Vernon Stone of Watchet and formerly by George Chidgey who took on this responsibility for many years.
The Admiral Fitzroy barometer takes its name from Robert Fitzroy (1805 - 1865) the captain of the Beagle (Darwin). On his retirement in 1850 he devoted his life to the science of meteorology and amongst other things persuaded The Times to print weather information daily and also encouraged The Board of Trade to supply costal towns and villages with barometers. Interestingly the first Fitzroy barometer did not appear until after his death.
This is a significant feature in Watchet's maritime history.
|© Copyright Watchet Conservation Society . All rights reserved. email@example.com||Site by Best Before End|