HOME | NEWS | PROJECTS | CURIOSITIES & FEATURES | BUILDING DATING & ANALYSIS | NEWSLETTER | CONTACT
|Curiosities & Features|
Welsh Brick |
Watchet vessels sailed for almost fifty years from the West Quay to Newport with iron ore from the Brendon Hills. However they made return voyages with cargoes other than south Wales coal.
At Ebbw Vale the destination of the ore, the local colliers mined fireclays and clays between the seams. This could be fired to produce hard wearing yellow brick and moulded details for buildings. Between 1855 and 1914 many Watchet houses bear evidence of this trade link - even with an impressed Ebbw Vale stamp.
Passing over the railway crossing towards Goviers Lane and past the steps leading to the Memorial Ground is the entrance to the old Coastguard Cottages. The Pillars and steps leading to the cottages illustrate local materials of Capton stone, Treborough slate and the Welsh imported yellow brick and distinctive architectural pediments.
|© Copyright Watchet Conservation Society . All rights reserved. firstname.lastname@example.org||Site by Best Before End|